Questions I might ask include:
- What brings you in to counseling? Why counseling now?
A particular issue has probably led you to seek counseling. I want to
understand your present issues so that we can have a clear direction.
- Your personal history and current situation.
- Your current symptoms. Relationship stresses might be causing difficulty at work; irritability, problems with sleep, or feeling like you just want to be alone.
Counseling is a collaborative effort. Taking an active part in the session will help make the counseling experience more valuable.
Here are some things you can do to make your first session as successful as possible.
- Prepare just a bit. Before you get to the session, think about how you would describe your situation, and the thoughts and feelings you are having. One way to prepare is to write down some of the reasons you’re seeking help.
- Ask questions. The more you understand the counseling experience or how counseling works, the more comfortable you’ll be.
- Check Your Expectations. Go into your first counseling session with realistic expectations. Counseling is not a quick fix; rather it is a process. With a bit of effort on your part and a strong relationship with your counselor, counseling can be a successful tool for resolving problems.
In the beginning, the counseling process can seem vague and uncertain. Whatever your reasons are for seeking help, you will be more at ease and get better results if you know what to expect.
In the first session:
- Ask you as a couple to talk directly to me
- Ask that you not talk over each other or interrupt.
This may feel foreign as I am starting the process of asking you to interact and communicate differently.
Couples Counseling Today
...Courage, Compassion, Connection
The First Counseling Session
Individual and Couples Counseling Sessions
Julienne Derichs LCPC
Couples Therapy and Marriage Counseling Serving
Highland Park, Lake Forest, Deerfield, Lincolnshire, Illinois
847 266-8484 Office in Highwood, IL 60040 CouplesCounselingToday@gmail.com
(between Lake Forest and Highland Park, IL)
Short Wait Times